3.25.2005

Looks That Kill



That's the least appropriate thing I've seen since that redneck country band played "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" at the NBA All-Star Game halftime show.

It's shaping up to be a very busy April for me. Apart from my job search being in full swing and final exams approaching like the blinding headlight of a train in a tunnel, I have a couple of trips in the works.

Next weekend I'll be in Detroit for baby seeing, garage drinking and Tigers opening day festivities. I'll be correcting a grievous oversight, as it's been way too long since I've been down on Chrome Bolt Drive.

The following week, I'll be joining my Portfolio Management class in Omaha, Nebraska for a visit with the World's Greatest Investor, Warren Buffett. This trip, in which I'm honoured to be included, was made possible by John Watson. (more about Mr. Watson's extraordinary philanthropy here) Along with Mr. Watson, Dean Martin and Laurence Booth, we will be touring some of Mr. Buffett's businesses, joining him for a meal and participating in Q & A session with him - I can't tell you how pleased I am to be a part of this. It's a great way to finish off my Rotman experience.

Speaking of the job search, a fellow MBA blogger I've noticed recently, Peiheng, has posted an excellent four-part primer of MBA finance careers. If any of you out there are on your way to B-school later this year, it would behoove you to check this out. Probably the hottest, fastest growing sector he discusses is hedge funds. Although Peiheng correctly observes that hedge funds rarely participate in the traditional MBA recruiting process, I would take issue with the following statement:

The hedge-fund industry hires very few MBAs, though, as the work requires a sophisticated knowledge of financial markets and because many investment bankers compete for such jobs.

Here at Rotman, there have been a number of hedge fund jobs available, but you have to do your own research and networking - these companies will not come to you. I can't stress the need for doing thorough homework on these companiesahead of time though. Nobody wants to get involved with the next Portus. That kind of situation is more prevalent than you might think. Here is a not so short list of hedge funds where the manager has committed a fraud. I'm usually not a fan of the government over-regulating things, as it tends to eventually morph into an ineffectual bureaucracy that only ends up raising the price of the good or service to the consumer. But in this case, tigher oversight - in my opinion - is overdue.

Happy Easter everyone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next weekend's motto: "Rehab is for quiters!" Two of the Four Horsemen will ride again, the earth will tremble, the heavens will cry, men will lock up there wives and daughters because hell is coming back to Chrome Bolt Drive!

Jayman AKA. Monster Zero

3/29/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 8 because you have good content.

Free Access To More Information Aboutinsurance health

10/11/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 10 because you have done a good job. Great Job,

Free Access To More Information Aboutbusiness courses

10/11/2005 5:05 PM  
Blogger ALEX GO said...

I really think this web site https://game79zone.com 바카라사이트 needs much more consideration. I’ll probably come back again to read more.

7/16/2020 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home