10.05.2004

Don't Be Journalistic Girly Men

Rugby season kicked off this week, and I took part in my first game since high school. The Rotman team played against fellow MBAers from our archrival Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario). For those of you hip to Rugby, I'm playing Lock. This seems to consist essentially of getting down in the scrum, getting trampled on when mauls go bad, rarely touching the ball, and hitting people all game long when they try to run at you. Like the narrator said in Fight Club "I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." We ended up losing but we kept it close most of the way. After the game, as is the Rugby code, both teams drank together at the Ballroom. "Hey, aren't these your teeth marks on my leg"? Fun day.

The National Post came out today with another girly-man in a slap-fight style attack on political bloggers. It continues to irk mainstream media that bloggers just exist, let alone that they are getting more and more attention on the political scene. Heaven forbid, bloggers were actually given credentials to cover the recent Democratic National Convention (as if they were actually real journalists). The blogoshere recently fact checked Dan Rather's ass causing him to issue a public apology over faked documents pertaining to Bush's Vietnam War record. But this doesn't seem to matter much to J. Kelly Nestruck though. Nice article J..

Although this blog is by no means in the class of the best political bloggers, like Instapundit, Vodkapundit or Michelle Malkin, I don't like seeing them attacked by hacks like J.. No, my purposes here are much more modest. Mostly its just a way for my friends and family back in Vancouver to keep track of what I'm up to, and for people considering doing an MBA to get a first hand perspective on the experience. It's also just a vehicle for me to spout off and practice writing.

In another Rotman-related item. I have an interview this week with a certain large Canadian financial institution. It's for a great position, so send me out any telepathic positive mojo you can spare on Thursday afternoon.

Since I don't think I've mentioned it here yet, two books I read and enjoyed this summer were The Number by Alex Berenson:

In the wake of Enron's spectacular implosion, the scandals
surrounding the collapse of Tyco's stock price and revelations that WorldCom
inflated its earnings by $9 billion, many wonder how independent auditors could
have overlooked such huge discrepancies in financial records. Others ask how the
SEC failed to spot corporate fraud and errors of the accounting firms on such a
scale when reviewing the annual reports. New York Times reporter Berenson
provides eye-opening answers to these and other equally disturbing questions in
this hard-hitting and well-documented study. Against a background of the decline
in independent investment research and the shift in client base for investment
houses from individual investors to corporations, he charts the ascent of
earnings per share-"the number"-to measure companies' health.


and A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market by J.A. Paulos:

We like to think not only that mathematicians are smarter than
the rest of us but that by dint of their mastery of numbers, they hold the key
to understanding the baffling mysteries of the universe. Alas, Paulos
(Innumeracy) says that's not always the case. As the author relates in this
funny, insightful little volume about attempts to bring order and science to the
free-for-all that is the stock market, he himself was once a big investor (in
WorldCom). Despite strong evidence to sell, he desperately hung on to his stock
as the price plummeted, proving that a head for numbers doesn't always translate
to Wall Street know-how. Through most of this book, Paulos discusses various
methods for predicting markets and offers thoughts on why people keep trying to
perfect them.


Also, In my continuing effort to keep readers abreast of the retro 80's music scene, check out this post reviewing The Killers latest offering from one of my newest favoritest blogs, Off-Wing Opinion.

"That's great" you might be saying to yourself, "but what's is the newest, cutting-edgiest trend in technology this week"? Answer: people are downloading and reading TAML on their portable devices.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My second comment of the day! 3 general thoughts:

1. I liked your old comment thing better where you could read ALL the comments that were posted, not just the ones that were posted for a specific entry.

2. It's possible that the photo you have there is not the best representation of you. A better one might be from Sunday when you were lying flat on the ground with your bright purple spandex shorts providing a beacon through the swirling masses of hot, sweaty men who were writhing on top of you. ;)

3. I don't know anyone else who has even read Atlas Shrugged, let alone lists it as one of their favourite books! How has Rotman affected your literature choices?

nush

10/06/2004 7:31 PM  
Blogger Thistle and Maple Leaf said...

Anusha,
OK, lets see... You didn't like my Micheal Dell observations, you don't like the comments section, you're pointing out my purple spandex to people and you have no love for Ayn Rand.

Oh well, at least its feedback.

DH

10/06/2004 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ, I don't even know why I continue to check this site everyday, can we talk about comic books now? I'm good at that- Macomb County Jay

10/08/2004 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! You're gonna make me cry! =(
I DO like your blog, I DO like your purple spandex (very manly), and I LOVE Ayn Rand's novel. I was just surprised that YOU had read it - after all, how many other people do you know that have read it?
So, when are Jay and I invited to your love shack?

10/09/2004 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im with Jay ! Quit trying to rub it in that you got your grade 11..
Ricky

10/11/2004 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home