9.15.2003

I'm absolutely buried with work right off the bat here. Absolutely brutal. It's now after midnight on a Tuesday morning, and I still have about 90 minutes of reading to do to be prepared for class tomorrow. There is literally not enough time to do it all.

So here a few things to take my mind away from the work:

My word of the day is "metrosexual". It describes an individual with whom you're already familiar. New York Times says he's a straight urban male who's willing, even eager, to embrace his feminine side. He's unafraid to be complimented on his clothing or mistaken for being gay. He stocks his medicine cabinet with prestige grooming products, maintains an impressive up-to-date wardrobe, and visits salons for a variety of men's esthetic services that include hairstyling, facials, manicures, and body hair removal.

I'm quite enjoying using this in casual conversations. Reminds me of someone I know who has recently taken to getting his hair streaked - you know who you are.

My cool site of the day (for the pop-culture inclined) is this, a fun movie and TV game. I was player number 13 to choose St. Elsewhere.

And finally, my song of the day - since I've just recently turned 33 - is thirty-three by Smashing Pumpkins. It's easy to forget, but this was one of the best albums of the 1990s. So next time you want to put yourself in one of those bad moods that feel so good, pull Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness out of your CD collection and crank it up.

Here's the lyrics to Thirty-Three:

Speak to me in a language I can hear
Humour me before I have to go
Deep in thought I forgive everyone
As the cluttered streets greet me once again

I know I can't be late, supper's waiting on the table
Tomorrow's just an excuse away
So I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own

The earth laughs beneath my heavy feet
At the blasphemy in my old jangly walk
Steeple guide me to my heart and home
The sun is out and up and down again

I know I'll make it, love can last forever
Graceful swans of never topple to the earth
And you can make it last, forever you
You can make it last, forever you

And for a moment I lose myself
Wrapped up in the pleasures of the world
I've journeyed here and there and back again
But in the same old haunts I still find my friends
Mysteries not ready to reveal
Sympathies I'm ready to return

I'll make the effort, love can last forever
Graceful swans of never topple to the earth
Tomorrow's just an excuse
And you can make it last, forever you
You can make it last, forever you


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home